I have always seen this dish being made on cooking shows or had it fancy restaurants, so I decided, with a dinner party as a perfect excuse, I am going to give it a go!!!
This is honestly the nicest and easiest desert to make, you can even make it the day before and just bake it before you serve it. I made mine a few hours before and just put them in the fridge till I was ready to serve them.
50g soft unsalted butter (plus more for greasing)
350g best dark chocolate
150g caster sugar
4 large eggs (beaten with pinch of salt)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
50g plain flour
Cocoa powder of dusting
- You will need 6 individual pudding molds or ramekins, buttered and dusted with Cocoa Powder.
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC, putting in a baking sheet at the same time.
- Beat the eats with a pinch of salt.
- Melt the chocolate and let it cool slightly. Cream together the butter and sugar, and gradually beat in the eggs and salt, then the vanilla. Now add the flour, and when all is smoothly combined scrape in the cooled chocolate, blending it to a smooth batter.
- Divide the batter between the 6 molds, quickly whip the baking sheet out of the oven, arrange the little tins on it and replace in the oven.
- Cook for 10-12 minutes (the extra 2 minutes will be needed if the puddings are fridge-cold when you start) and as soon as you take them out of the oven, tip out these luscious lava cakes onto small plates or shallow bowls.
- Serve these with whipped double cream, the same unwhipped in a jug, creme fraiche, creme anglaise or ice cream.